This week the Liceu metro station has traveled one hundred years back in time. Coinciding with the centenary of the Barcelona subway, the historic pinnacles that marked its accesses have been reinstalled, along with exact replicas of the signs with which the station was inaugurated in 1925.
The restoration work has made it possible to recover the pinnacles, made up of wrought iron and cast iron elements joined by screws, which have been subjected to a specific cleaning treatment with sandblasting and laser to restore their original appearance.

In addition to these structures, the intervention recovers a historical curiosity of the station. On July 5, 1925, Liceu station was inaugurated with two different signs. The access towards Lesseps indicated “Liceu”, while the other access, which at that time was the end of the line, was marked as “Gran Metro”.

A few years later, this signaling was unified under the name “G. Metro” in both accesses, a denomination that remained until 1969. During that process, the original signs were not preserved, so TMB has decided to manufacture replicas faithfully following the plans of the original design.
From today, the station is once again signposted with its two founding names, recovering the exact appearance it had when it was inaugurated a century ago.